Thursday, February 21, 2008

Repentance, and a little more

No time for introductions....right to the first Post...you'll get to know me soon enough.

I'm sitting in a public computer lab at a secular college, listening to Amy Grant. Why would I do such a thing?? I'm at the college because I'm a student there. I'm listening to music older than I, because I am lamenting the decay of Christian music. Not only is some of it musically undesirable, but also overly saccharine, theologically void. Once in a while though, I run into a song that is more than just theologically permissible, or maybe an artist's library. One such artist is Derek Webb. From the beginning of his work with Caedmon's call, he exhibits an honesty in his lyrics that is uncommon in Christian music. I noticed this from the beginning, and went and saw him live. THEN, I got saved, or maybe I just became aware of my salvation. Now, some of his honest lyrics cut like knives. Here's one such stanza:

I repent, I repent
of parading my liberty.
I repent, I repent
of paying for what i get for free,
and for the way I believe
that i am living right
by trading sins for others that are easier to hide.
I am wrong, and of these things
I repent.

I freaked out a bit. This was the most relevant piece of songwritiung I'd heard in reference to American Christians, in reference to even my own Christian life. It's easy to think you've defeated sin when you reduce theft to jealousy, or promiscuity to lust. I must say, I do just that. To stop the action but continue the thought is no less sinful. Why is it, then, that so many preachers focus on "big sins" and let their parishoners continue in the little sins of life? We're all about appearances, aren't we? I know I am.

Go up to the altar! Go ahead! Get prayed for and shrug it off as you walk out the back! Get "saved" and act like scum. Everybody's doing it!

Except...it doesn't work that way. It can't.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I must agree that much of Christian music today is not theologically sound. There are some songs that I just *sigh* at and try to ignore. I wonder how we can glorify God with songs that are focused on selfishness.

The excerpt that you have provided is wonderful! THAT is what a song should be! We must continually remember that sin is an issue of the condition of our hearts, not just the actions of the flesh. Church leaders need to remember that outward appearances are not indicative of inward condition. They need to feed their flock, minister to them, and challenge them as Jesus challenges us to FOLLOW HIM.