Thursday, March 6, 2008

Limbs

Right now, I'm taking a class on the New Testament. Granted, I'm at a secular college, but I had no idea it would be like this. I had an idea that it might challenge my beliefs, for sure, but man, I wasn't ready to actually stand for them.

To say that the gospels are free of contradictions in class today might have been the most difficult thing for me to say in class. I said it, perhaps without thinking, but nonetheless, the words came out of my mouth. I never got a chance to defend my belief, but I at least made it known.

In doing so, I fear that I have jeopardized my academic legitimacy. All of a sudden, I've become a young-earth inerrantist, a person who has no business at a liberal arts college. This is difficult also, because the professor with whom the exchange was made is my academic advisor. He's forgotten my name, but he probably won't forget it again, now that I've stated that I hold such an unacceptable viewpoint. I got on his bad side I can tell, because he misunderstood something that I said later on in the class, and snapped a little.

Now I'm freaking out, because all of a sudden, living my faith has me walking on limbs that are being cut from underneath me. It's not a pleasant feeling, not in any way.Just what can I do about it? I'm not sure.

No comments: